Skin’s elasticity is one of the properties of skin that lets the skin work like a rubber band, when stretched bounce back to its original shape. Elasticity keeps your skin smooth, youthful, firm and slightly stretchy. Collagen and elastin are two proteins that are responsible for providing skin the elasticity and stretch ability. The dermal layer of the skin is concerned with the elasticity of the skin as it contains collagen and elastin. Decrease in skin’s elasticity is also known as elastosis, which can cause saggy and wrinkled skin.
There are many factors that lead to loss of skin’s elasticity -
1. Smoking - Smoking leads to damage the collagen and elastin that can cause loss of skin elasticity. It actually triggers the free radicals that may lead to damaging the cells and negatively affect the skin. Quit smoking and your skin will surely thank you.
2. Sun Exposure - UV rays exposure from the sun can be really harmful for the elasticity of the skin. It can cause saggy and wrinkled skin by breaking down the elastin in the dermal layer of your skin. For protecting your skin from the sun exposure in best way, apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to the sun exposed skin. It will surely help to protect the skin from many skin ailments.
3. Unhealthy Foods - Unhealthy or poor nutrition can also lead to cause the loss of elasticity of the skin. For a healthy, bright and tight skin your body needs healthy foods like walnuts, almonds, berries, and broccoli and stay away from too much sugar and oil.
4. Air Pollution - Air pollutants in the air tends to deprive the oxygen from the skin that leads to wrinkles and loss of skin elasticity. Exfoliate and moisturize your skin to remove all the dirt and air pollutants from the skin.
Below are the various measures to improve the elasticity of the skin -
1. Supplements - Supplements like vitamin C and vitamin E can be really beneficial in boosting the collagen production that in turn improves the skin’s elasticity. Collagen is a protein that is found in dermal layer of the skin’s connective tissues, which according to some studies can be boosted by using oral supplements.
2. Exercise - Regular exercise will surely help to tighten your skin and make it look younger. Exercise aids in increasing the circulation of blood flow, with this skin cells get more amount of oxygen and nutrients. Exercises like running, swimming and jumping is really beneficial in blood circulation and speeding up the collagen production.
3. Good Sleep - A proper sleep at night will surely help your skin building collagen and improves the elasticity of the skin. 7 to 9 hours a night sleep will help boosting the collagen production and help fighting the free radicals that are harmful for the elasticity of the skin. Actually body repairs itself when you are sleeping, so an inadequate sleep can disturb the collagen production and overall health of the body.
4. Hydration - Drinking water is as essential as adequate sleep. Drink at least 7- 10 glass per day for adequate hydration and plumped up skin. A dehydrated body leads to sagging and dull skin.
5. Healthy Foods - Healthy foods like greens, citrus fruits, broccoli, almond, fatty fish etc. are really beneficial for replenishing the elasticity of the skin and for improving the skin’s health. All the green veggies and essential nutrients are really beneficial for making the skin bright, shiny and tight.
6. Sunscreen and Collagen Cream - Excessive sun exposure can break down collagen and elastin that leads to loss in skin elasticity. Sunscreen will help protecting your skin from photo damage. Use SPF 30 or higher sunscreen for preventing the skin from wrinkles, fine lines and saggy skin. Collagen boosting creams aids in giving you a dose of collagen as well as moisturizing the skin at the same time.
7. Exfoliation - Dead skin cells can make your skin look dull and saggy, with aging the natural mechanism of removing dead skin cells and generation of new cell tends to decrease. Exfoliation can help extracting the dead skin cells from the skin and helps in improving the dead skin cells.
8. Retinols - Retinols and the alternatives of retinols are enriched with vitamin A is available in many skin care products for anti-aging purpose. Retinols can boost the collagen and elastin production as well as aids in increasing the cell turnover.