Oily skin, unwanted shine and greasiness on the face are common skin care problems. Oily skin produces excessive sebum (oil). Sebum produced by our body’s sebaceous glands is an oily and waxy substance that defends and hydrates the skin. Sebum isn’t that bad for your skin as it helps to moisturize your skin, however excessive production of sebum may lead to clogged pores, acne and oily skin.
Oily skin can also spoil the application of makeup on your face and often leads to breakouts. Actually sebaceous glands that are located under your skin’s surface are larger and more concentrated on your face, that’s why it produces more oil on face. Oily skin can be caused by genetic, environmental effects, stress or lifestyle factors.
In this article we will give you information regarding the simple and easy techniques that can be applied as remedies for the prevention of oily skin.
1. Face Cleansing - Regular face cleansing with a gentle cleanser in the morning and evening can be beneficial in preventing the oily skin. Cleansing aids in cleaning the pores and removing dirt and bacteria by preventing the accumulation of dead skin cells from the skin.
Things to keep in mind for cleansing the face-
- Use a gentle face cleanser that doesn’t include added moisturizers, fragrances or harsh chemicals.
- Don’t over wash or wash your face harshly as it can dry out the skin, and will produce more oil to compensate the dried out skin and make the skin more oily and prone to more breakouts.
- Use milky or cream based cleanser as it will remove dirt and bacteria without disturbing the skin’s natural barrier and moisture levels.
- Don’t wash your face with too hot water as it can make the skin dry. Use warm or normal water to cleanse.
2. Toning - Use toner with natural astringent, especially on the T zone (forehead, nose and chin) oiliest spots on the skin. Use cotton balls to apply toner and brush it all over the face to shrink the enlarged pores and cleaning up the clogged pores that are accumulated with dirt and bacteria. Use witch hazel enriched toner that works really well for preventing the skin from excessive oiliness. Toner also helps to add the adequate moisture to the skin, without disturbing skin’s pH balance. After the toner dries out, pat dry and wash with a towel and apply moisturizer for preventing over dryness.
3. Blotting Paper - Blotting paper can be used as a temporary solution to absorb the excessive oil sitting on the skin and greasy appearance. For using blotting paper press on the oily skin for 15 to 20 seconds for absorbing the oil quickly and it also aids in fighting acne. Although blotting paper is not effective for prevention of excessive oil production, but it can work for absorbing the oil and minimizing the shiny and greasy skin throughout the day. Do not use the usable part of the sheet on another part of the face, as it can make the pores more clogged.
4. Face Mask - Face mask works really well for removing the impurities from the skin and preventing the excessive oil in the pores. Apply the face mask for 10-15 minutes with damp skin and hands. Use water to remove the face mask after 10- 15 minutes.
5. Moisturizing - There is a misconception in many people’s mind that moisturizer will make their oily skin oilier and greasy. However with right choice of moisturizer like oil free moisturizer can keep your skin hydrated as well as protected without making the skin greasy. A light weight lotion based moisturizer with oil controlling features will surely make your skin more soft and supple. Products with hydrating abilities are essential for the skin to retain the adequate moisture level of the skin, without the proper moisture the sebaceous glands will produce more sebum(oil) to compensate the over dryness. Do not use heavy moisturizers if you have a oily skin.
6. Changing diet - Unhealthy diet is also a reason for an oily skin. Avoiding foods with high levels of sugar and fats can help prevent the excessive oil production. Food rich with antioxidants like blueberries, apples, beans, bright colored fruits and vegetables and omega 3 fatty acids can be really beneficial in improving the appearance and texture of the skin as well as controlling the oil mechanism. Cut out all the unhealthy oily and greasy foods like butter and fried food it will surely help in preventing the excessive oil on skin.