Antioxidants are substances that are able to fight and protect the skin from free radicals, the oxidative damage that is generated by environmental pollutants and UV rays. Basically antioxidants help to defend the skin against pollution and environmental damages. Antioxidants work to prevent or slow down the production of free radicals in the body.
Free radicals are the unstable molecules that the body produces as a reaction to environmental and other pressures, if the levels of free radicals become too high in body it can result in diseases such as diabetes, heart diseases and other health concerns. Our body produces it own defense against the free radicals, however there are many foods that are rich with antioxidants such as fruits, vegetables, several vitamins and other antioxidant based foods. Antioxidants basically help to neutralize the free radicals and aids in brightening the skin as well as smoothing the fine lines on the skin. That is the reason why antioxidants are used in many skincare products especially because of its anti-aging properties.
Below are the reasons why antioxidants are beneficial for your skin -
1. Fighting the Signs of aging - Oxidative damage that is caused by free radicals can disturb the collagen levels in the body that can result in wrinkles, fine lines, sagging skin, acne breakouts and other skin ailments. These skin ailments are the result of damaging of skin’s natural repair system by free radicals. By scavenging the free radicals the antioxidants help to fight the signs of skin aging such as diminishing the visible appearance of wrinkles and helps giving the skin a youthful and glowing look. Mostly antioxidants are really helpful in diminishing the signs of wrinkles and fine lines from the skin; however vitamin C and E specially aids in preventing the skin from wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging. That is the reason why these antioxidant based vitamins are incorporated in many skincare products specially for tackling the skin aging concerns and making the skin plump out and more youthful.
2. Preventing Sunburns - When your skin gets exposed to harmful UV rays emitted by sun, our body in response triggers an inflammatory response that can cause sunburn, photo aging and other skin ailments. As all antioxidants are infused with anti-inflammatory properties they help to stimulate the blood flow in the skin, that aids in repairing the sun damaged skin as well as generating the new skin cells. Because of the anti-inflammatory properties, many skincare products are available with antioxidant rich properties for treating the sun damage.
3. Brightening the Skin Tone - Too much sun exposure can also affect our skin’s melanin production that results in dark spots and uneven skin tone. Antioxidants especially vitamin C in particular is really effective in reducing the photo damage and prevents the skin from skin pigmentations. It can surely help the skin to maintain a healthy skin tone.
4. Firming the skin - With time the substances that hold and maintain the firmness of the skin depleted, that results in skin showing signs of dull appearance and uneven skin tone. Antioxidants that is rich with omega 3 fatty acids like passion fruit, flaxseed oil etc. are really effective in slow down the deterioration of skin’s surface and making the skin look firmer and healthy. Omega 6 and omega 9 are also a great source of antioxidant that works effectively for revitalizing the skin’s surface.
5. Sooth the Skin - Antioxidant are also infused with soothing properties like green tea, beta glucin etc. are really effective in calming as well as soothing the redness on the skin. With significant soothing properties antioxidants are really effective for sensitive skin.
6. Treating Scars - Scars are rigid in nature and posses a different structure of cells than from a healthy skin. Antioxidants such as aloe Vera and onion extracts also known as allium holds the ability to diminish the appearance of scar tissue by increasing the blood flow to the scar tissue, that ultimately helps to fade and minimize the appearance of scar. Many antioxidant rich products in the form of creams, gels etc. are available in market for treating the scars.
7. Helping Skin repairing itself - Inflamed skin tends to halt the skin repair mechanism. Antioxidants like vitamin C can work as anti-inflammation for aiding the skin in repairing itself as well as maintaining youthful and glowing skin.