Suntan is the situation when skin turns darkened or brown mostly due to the exposure of ultraviolet UV rays from the sun. Skin might reflect two shades, tan lines, uneven skin color. With suntan darker skin people get darker while light skin often turns red. Excessive sun exposure can make your skin unhealthy, wrinkled, dry and discolored. We always want to wash it off, however it is not easy task.
Actually suntan is your body’s attempt to defend your body from the harmful effects of ultraviolet rays emitted by sun. Melanin is a skin pigment chemical which works to protect the skin from sun exposure. Body produces more melanin in order to absorb the UV radiations emitted by sun. The more melanin your body releases, more darker or tanned your skin will get.
Getting rid of tanning or reducing it is not an overnight process or an easy task, with proper skincare routine and remedies, you can get rid of suntan easily.
The main cause of skin tanning is excessive radiation from UV rays from sun as well as artificial sources like tanning lamp.
Remedies and tips for getting rid of tanned skin.
1. Cleanse and Exfoliate - Wash your face at least 2 times a day to remove all the dirt, excessive oil etc. from the skin. It helps to purify and provide coolness to the skin after the exposure of skin from the sun. It will help your skin to be tan free.
Exfoliation also helps to lighten the tanning effect on skin by removing the dead skin cells from the skin. Using scrub for exfoliation can works really well for revealing the fresh and glowing skin underneath the dead skin cells. Use a natural ingredients based scrub for exfoliating your skin. Exfoliate your skin twice a week for best results.
2. Lemon Juice and Honey - Squeeze the juice of a fresh cut lemon in a bowl. Add some honey to it and mix. Apply this mixture with the help of cotton ball to the tanned skin. Keep it on your skin for 30 minutes before washing off. Lemon juice is enriched with vitamin C and honey makes the skin soft. Keep doing it daily to achieve tan free skin.
3. Hydration - Hydration is really effective for body as well as for the skin. Drinking at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday can prevent dryness and thus reducing the signs of tanning and also make your skin flawless. It will surely help you flush out all the toxins and results in flawless and glowing skin.
4. Aloe Vera - Aloe Vera is infused with anti-inflammatory properties. Applying Aloe Vera gel to the skin can be really beneficial in fading the tan skin. Aloe Vera gel is easily available in the market. It is also found in studies that Aloe Vera curbs the production of melanin of the body, which is the cause of suntan.
5. Turmeric - Turmeric mask can also works really effective for getting rid of tan on the skin. Mix some turmeric, honey and lemon juice and make a thick paste. Use a cotton ball or brush to apply the paste on your skin. Apply it on your skin for 20 to 30 minutes before washing off with water. Use cleanser to wash off the yellowness remains on the face. All these natural ingredients are really effective in lightening the effect of tan on the skin.
6. Papaya - Papaya is also infused with natural enzymes that are really effective in fading the tanning from the skin. Mash the fruit and apply directly to your skin. You can also add honey and make a paste for the skin. Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes and then wash it off.
7. Multani Mitti and Rose Water - Make a paste of multani mitti and rose water. Apply this layer on the affected areas of the skin where the skin in tanned. Leave it until it gets dry before washing off. Multani mitti sooths sunburns and cools the skin. Rose water also soothes your skin. This paste is really effective in lightening the effects of tan on skin.
8. Saffron (Kesar) - Saffron is really effective in improving the skin texture, preventing dark circles, acne. It is also really beneficial in lightening the darkened skin. Add few strands of saffron in milk and leave it for some time. Apply this mix on the affected tan areas on the skin. You will surely get positive results.
9. Coconut Milk - Coconut milk is hydrating in nature. Take coconut oil and dab it all over the tan area. Leave it on the skin until it is absorbed by the skin before washing off. It is a really beneficial remedy for lightening the effect of tan on the skin.
Besides dealing with tan later is it not better to prevent the skin before tanning happens. Here are some tips for preventing the skin from tanning.
- Sunscreen - Sunscreen is a must to protect the skin from the scorching heat of sun. It works as a shield for your skin against the harmful damages caused by UV rays emitted by sun. Use broad spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen for protecting your against the sun tanning. A broad spectrum sunscreen protects the skin from both UVA and UVB rays. Avoid the exposure of sun during the peak hours of sunlight which are mostly in the afternoon between 10: am and 4: pm.
- Protective Clothing - If you are going outside for the afternoon hours. Protective clothing like long sleeves. Accessories like hats, parasols, UV protection sunglasses can also be really effective in protecting the skin from the harmful exposure of sun.
- Avoid Alcohols Based Perfumes - Alcohol based perfumes can make your skin more prone to tanning. When you go out in the sun with alcohol based perfume it can make your skin more sensitive to the skin. Instead of this use organic bodies spray.
- Healthy Diet-Eating Healthy foods like green veggies, fresh fruits can also be really beneficial in keeping the skin hydrated and glowing. It also benefits the skin aging process.