Our skin is a major and largest organ of our body. It perform many roles for the maintenance and protection of bones, muscles, ligaments and vital organs. Skin also aids in other tasks such as temperature maintenance, vitamin production etc. However skin is also prone to many diseases and wants extra protection and maintenance .So a lot of products (face washes, moisturizers, lotions, sunscreen etc.) are available in the market infused with various ingredients/chemicals for tackling skin ailments.
Many manufacturing companies used these chemicals in their products, many plays a crucial role in improving the quality of skin if use properly. On the other hand a lot of chemicals are toxic and hazardous, and negatively affect the skin which may results in allergies, acne, eczema and even hormonal disruption and cancer. As our skin absorbs a large amount of products that we apply on our skin, it can have same positive or harmful effects like what we put inside our body.
Here is a list of most common chemicals available in skincare products that can make your skin sick, and it is better to avoid these chemicals if possible for saving your skin from negative effects.
1. Paraben - This chemical is found in almost every variety of skincare product ranges from moisturizers, face wash, face mask, deodorants and shampoos. It is basically used as a preservative to keep the product fresh and also to increase its shelf life. Some researches shows that excessive use of parabens may cause hormonal imbalance. It can also cause the increase in production of hormone estrogen and it can also enter the skin and mimic estrogen that can lead to cancer. For taking caution avoid products that include paraben.
2. Sulphate - Sulphate is also a major chemical that is used for purpose of foaming, lather, and bubble making in many products such as body wash, face wash, cleansers, toothpaste etc. There can be different types of Sulphate, but SLS (sodium laureth sulfate) is commonly used. It can cause skin irritation and may contribute to disturbing the skin’s natural barrier and oil balancing mechanism. It also absorbs skin’s moisture which leads to skin irritation and acne.
3. Phthalates - Phthalates is used for increasing the spread ability and flexibility of the product to help the product stick to the skin for long time. It is usually founds in moisturizers, lotions, hair spray and even in perfumes also. This lubricant can act as endocrine disrupting chemical that can cause reproductive birth defects. It is also derived from researches that it can lead to negative effects on hormones, and it is also not suitable for children.
4. PEG (Polyethylene Glycol) - PEG is used to enhance the thickness and adjust the melting point of the product, for enabling the ingredients to be absorbed faster into the skin. This chemical is often found in cleansers, lotions, and sunscreen and also in shampoos. It should never be used on damaged or red skin, it can cause skin irritation. It can diminish skin’s moisture levels and surge up the aging process.
5. Sunscreen Chemical - oxybenzone, benzophenone and chemical like PABA causes more damage to skin then protecting from the sun.
6. Diethanolamine - This chemical is used for foaming purpose, often used in body washes, shampoos and cleansers etc. It can cause respiratory illness and acts as cancer agent also. It can also results in skin irritation.
7. Hydroquinone - Hydroquinone is used in skin care for hyperpigmentation and tackling acne, scar, age spots, eczema etc. However it harms the production of melanin, which results in temporary whitening of the skin. Because of the high alteration of the chemical, it can results in skin problems like blemishes and pre aging. According to a study it can also cause”ochronosis” a skin disease where black or blue patches reflect on the skin.